They can hold a week’s worth of groceries, they are washable, they are re-usable… Introducing the Stash Couture Market Bags! Go Green and Go Stash Couture!
Fabric for the bag bodies is upholstery or drapery weight. Pockets are of various weights.
The fabric used for the body of the blue bag (right) was also used to make the handles. The yellow twill tape added both color and strength. Stashed quilting weight toile for the pocket – and even a laundry tape name label (from my MIL’s stash!) – make this a 100% Destash Market Bag.
Plexiglass was cut to fit in the base of each bag. It not only adds structural stability to the bag – but can be easily removed, washed, and sanitized!
The bags are different sizes – more of function of fabric width than any design or intention. The blue bag to the right is HUGE at 9″ by 18″ and 14″ tall!
The green bag shown on the left is taller, but not as wide as the blue bag. It is 9″ by 15″ and 17″ tall.
The trim on the green bag was – (oh! the horror!) purchased for this project! (Gasp! Gasp!). Luckily, discounts made it slightly less painful. The Plan was to purchase just the wide navy blue grosgrain ribbon, but the green floral ribbon was a perfect color match – (and it was 50% off) – so I just had to….
The Stash did not have any heavier weight fabric for a contrasting base for the blue damask print, so I quilted a quilting weight Christmas fabric. The Stash provided appropriate batting. A very narrow red and white gingham ribbon was added to the blue cotton webbing used for the handles. Both were from The Stash.
The Stash also contained a swivel clasp left over from a conference name tag. I added it just below the laundry name tag – it may come in handy at some point!
.…So this one is also a 100% Destash Bag!
At some point during Stash Development, giraffe fabrics seemed to speak to me. I used small amounts of three of giraffe fabrics in the bags. In the Green Market Bag Close-up there are blue giraffes on the pocket fabric, although most of them appear upside down in that photo.
In the Giraffe Market Bag shown to the left, one giraffe print was used for the bag and a different giraffe print for the pocket. The base and the handles were made of dark brown microsuede. The microsuede handles seemed to stretch, so the purchase (again, the “P” word!!!) of the red nylon webbing became necessary.
Although I claim not to be a rick rack person, The Stash says otherwise. So, I used some on this bag and am rather pleased with the results.
To attest to the age of my some of my stash – the ecru twill tape under the rick rack was in its original wrapping – and the price was 15 cents!
I am considering posting a How-to for the bags. They really are quite fun (and very easy) to make. For the first one, I measured and re-measured and re-measured. By the third bag, I had figured out a non-Math version – just some folding in half – which invited a lot more imagination – and produced a lot less frustration!!!