Now that the quilting of the exterior is complete, it is time to move onto the interior of the Destashification Make-Up Bag.
Part C: Cutting/Sewing the Lining Pieces and Vertical Seamed Pocket
1. Cut one lining “fat mushroom” in the same manner as the exterior pieces. The second lining piece(s) will be cut at another time. Fold along fold lines and press with steam iron. Then open the folds. These fold lines are used for quidelines – they are not to remain folded.
The fabric lining is a Beatrix Potter toile. The pocket is an FUDOS (Fabric of Unknown Date and Origin from the Stash).
2. Using the approximately 10″ by 12″ fabric scrap, cut a 9″ by 11.5″ rectangle. Fold it in half, right sides together, to create a 9″ by 5.75″ rectangle. Sew side seams as shown in photo. Turn pocket right side out and press.
3. Place cut edge of Interior Pocket fabric 1/2″ above lower fold line of lining. Sew along the sewing line as shown in photo. Press pocket upward. Trim the 1/2″ inch pocket seam allowance to approximately 1/4″. Pin pocket to lining.
4. Place make-up on pocket to estimate widths of vertical pockets. Typically 1″ to 2″ will work.
5. Sew one pocket edge to lining (Seam 1 in Step 5A Photo).
Working across the pocket, sew additional vertical seams in pocket at desired widths (Seams 2 – 5 in Step 5A Photo).
It may help to use tape (blue painter’s tape works very well) to maintain straight and even seams.
6. Sew along the bottom edge of the pocket close to the edge (Seam 6 in Step 5A Photo). and then again approximately 1/4″ above that seam (Seam 7 in the Step 5A Photo).
7: The first lining piece is complete!