Smocked and Beaded Linen Top
This is a vintage dress pattern: Patt-O-Rama 8337-T. It even had the original smocking transfers.
I liked the design of this dress because the front is shaped. It almost forms a “Y”. The upper portion is quite wide which allows for the smocking, but the pattern narrows quickly to the waist. This eliminates the volume typically associated with smocked garments.
This pattern front and the “smocking dots” were also shaped to create a true bustline. When I discovered the dots were no longer iron-on-able, I was going to try the pleating machine, but it only pleats in a straight line. So, transfer paper and disappearing marking pen…..
The fabric is a cream tissue weight linen – perfect for Arizona’s heat. But, perhaps not-so-perfect for smocking. The linen was just a bit too stiff.
I added beads at each smocking point.
The top was made to coordinate with an embellished jean skirt I am currently working on. More embellishments to follow…
…and finally, the top with a coordinating sweater – required for AC chill chasing!