The Stash contained a yard plus of a mid-weight butter yellow 100% linen.
I kept wondering when the “perfect pattern” for it would come along.
Butterick 5891 by Katherine Tilton was chosen.
The asymmetry of the top adds to its visual interest – and to the number of pattern pieces (15) it requires. Yes, 15 pattern pieces! Twice I thought I had them all – and twice I was wrong!
Linen is perfect for this top. Butter yellow linen is pretty much perfect for everything!
A few modifications were made. I did not add the peplum. It added too much volume.
I lined the inner collar and finished the outer collar edge with a bias-esque edging of a coordinating quilting fabric (not quite enough fabric for a true bias). This gave a more finished appearance to the neckline.
I also decided the yellow needed more color, so decided to add bound buttonholes using a pink-red-orange batik. The Stash contained only one small (less than 9″ square) piece of the batik, so the buttonholes were a perfect way to add that Stash Couture touch!
The armhole facing bias binding was cut from a similarly colored butter yellow cotton from The Stash – so that it would be on the bias. (I must note this occurred AFTER I attempted to use not-quite-bias pieces and they did not lay correctly.)
The buttons include 3 cover-yourself and 2 Stash Buttons – all five the same ruby pink found int he batik. I may change them out if I find some I like better – but little changes like that is part of the fun of sewing!