This post is the pattern for the Scrap Couture Linen Stitch Scarf.
Finished size: 7 ” wide by 6 feet long (does not include fringe)
Gauge: 20 sts * 40 rows = 4 inches (not all that important)
Note: All rows are worked on the right side of scarf. This is accomplished because of the use of the circular needle. Finish a row, cut a secure a 10″ yarn tail. Return to start and knit next row.
- Oddments of Yarn in the neighborhood of Worsted Weight.
- Size 10.5 circular Knitting Needles (long)
Linen Stitch (in knitting lingo):
- Row 1: *K1, yf, Sl1, yb *; repeat between *’s to end.
- Row 2: *yf, Sl1, yb, K1*, repeat between *’s to end
- yf = yarn forward
- yb = yarn back
- sl1 = slip one stitch
So the translated version is:
Row 1: *Knit 1 stitch, bring yarn forward between needle points, slip the next stitch (without knitting it), move yarn to the back of work through needle points*. Repeat the instructions between the *’s to the end of the row.
Row 2: *Bring yarn forward between needle points, slip the next stitch (without knitting it), move yarn to the back of work through needle points, Knit 1 stitch*. Repeat the instructions between the *’s to the end of the row.
As seen in the graph, Row 1 and Row 2 are the same 2-stitch pattern. Row 2 just slides over 1 stitch to alternate horizontal “Yarn Bar” location.
- Cast on 310 stitches (for a 6 foot scarf) with selected yarn.
- Return to start and with a second yarn leave a 10″ tail and knit Row 1 of Linen Stitch. Leave 10″ tail at end of row.
- Return to start and with a third yarn leave 10 ” tail and knit Row 2 of Linen Stitch. Leave 10″ tail at end of row. Tie tails of these two rows together close to scarf.
- Repeat Rows 2 and 3 until 66 rows have been knit (or until scarf is desired width)
- Knit final Row of Linen Stitch with yarn used for Cast on.
- Bind off using same yarn.
Fringe: (Apologies for photos, I forgot to take any photos when making the fringe, so had to improvise)
Lay scarf so that fringe is on thigh.
- Select first 4 strands of fringe, pushing other to side.
- Select first 2 strands of fringe and roll on thigh until tightly twisted.
- Hold twisted strands in other hand and roll the second 2 strands on thigh until tightly twisted (in the same direction as the first two)
Place twisted strands close together and stretch slightly.
- Tie an overhand knot 4″ or so from scarf edge and release. Fringe should be “double-twisted”.
- Repeat process for all fringe strands.
- Trim ends 1″ – 2″ from knot.